In the caffeine infused madness of the work day, it’s easy to forget to stop and take a moment to breathe. Here is a simple one minute technique to reset your mind and fuel creativity.
The Square Breath
- Sit in a quiet environment (or at your desk if you can’t get away)
- Inhale while slowly counting to four
- Hold your breath for the same count of four
- Exhale, again slowing counting to four
- Hold your lungs empty for a count of four
- Repeat as many times as you like
In essence, you want to create a square with your breath. As you do this, try to focus as much attention as possible on the act of breathing. Afterwards, thank yourself for taking a minute to reorient yourself to your body and the present.